3 Large Onions, finely sliced
6 Shallots, finely sliced
Shake of Worcestershire Sauce
2 Glasses of Red Wine
3 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp Thyme
1 litre Vegetable Stock
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Baguette, cut into slices
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
100g Gruyère , grated
Handful of Parsely, chopped
1. Preheat the grill to a medium heat.
2. Heat the butter in a large pan and gently cook the onions, shallots and garlic until softened. This should roughly take about 10 minutes over a low heat.
3. Increase the heat slightly and cook for 15 minutes, until the onion becomes dark golden, sticky and caramelised, stirring now and again to stop it catching.
4. Add the wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add the stock, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce and thyme and bring to the boil. Taste and Season. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. While the soup is simmering, prepare the croutons. Mix the garlic, butter and parsley together. Spread on the bread and put under the grill for 2 minutes. Once the butter has melted over the bread and it's beginning to toast put the cheese over it and put under the grill for a further 3 minutes.
6. Pour the soup in the bowls, top with a giant garlic crouton.
Tip: Want help cutting up your fresh herbs. Heres what I use: